Summum Bonum - a term that has always amazed me ever since I've been reading through my uncle's collection of philosophy books. But before I expound on that matter, I just want to share a rather personal back-story on how I came to read about these things.
My uncle is a lawyer and many of his college law books (which at one time did not find them significant anymore) were handed to us. He decided to give it and leave it to us for he had no more space for these 'unused books' (the way in which he so said this) in his house in the city to keep them . By the time he left them, I was just 5 years old and I didn't have that much care in this world about such books. Some of it, and as embarrassing as it is to say this, I would draw and doodle horses, or sharks, or any animal figure I could think of at that time. I would sometimes tear up some of the books pages and fold it into paper planes or paper boats (and all of these, I now regret to have done so). I never knew and understood any of the books' content. I just had no idea
Jumping forward into the present, here I am now, 16 years old, an upcoming college freshman, and still no girlfriend. Not that I need one, but I'm just too scared to commit myself into a relationship (I do have a crush though xD). Anyway, there was this time when I was entasked of cleaning the storage room upstairs of the house. It was such a mess in there to be honest. Broken chairs and old furnitures, unused electric fans, shabby pillows, and most of all, assorted pieces of papers, paperworks, and books (which weren't even arranged or grouped in a pile) were all there. I was wearing a mask that was covering my mouth and nose while I was cleaning the mess in which this room was in. To keep myself entertained, while sweeping the dust off the floor and walls, I was reading some the papers and books that were in there. Some of these papers were affidavits and court records, but most of these papers though were review papers for the Bar Exam. I didn't continue reading those papers. I stopped and looked at some of the books. Many from what I saw were 'Penal Code' books. I was looking for a story book or any informative text that would be interesting. There weren't any sadly. But I did get some books that I thought would rather be useful to me when I will be in college already. One of these was 'The Ideas of Great Philosophers'. At this time, I had no idea whatsoever what Philosophy was all about. All that I knew about it was that it was a necessary subject in college and it was just that. But I didn't read them out yet though.
By the time I started reading Philosophy, I was already at the second second semester (or as how my country would put it, 'The Third Grading') of my Senior High School Year. It was October. Curiosity was the very reason behind why I started to read these books. I was just too curious at that time to know 'what is Philosophy?' and 'what was it really all about?'. So, I read the book of 'The Ideas of Great Philosophers'. The introductory part was very boring too be honest. It was more about Logic and finding errors in an argument and what were the criteria for determining the truth. This for me was irrelevant in my opinion, for what I was mainly looking for was about 'what Philosophy really meant'. Though on the first paragraphs of the first chapter, Philosophy was defined. This definition though, to me, was a bit 'cloudy' or somewhat 'incomprehensible' for my intellect and I still was unable to fully comprehend what Philosophy was all about. So I decided to continue reading the whole first chapter until I finished it and continued on to the next one. The second chapter was about 'Ethics'. At first, I hesitated to continue. I was like, "Ethics? isn't this already relating to law? this is just getting me nowhere on knowing what Philosophy means!". So, I stopped reading the book for about a day and then a day later, I thought to myself, "hey, how was I able to survive the first chapter when it sounded more boring than that of the second?". So, I grabbed the book from the table where I had left it, and continued to read it.
The way which I viewed ethics, it was about 'justice' and 'righteousness'. It was about the fairness and moderation in the actions which men act or do. But this was too narrow though. (I'll continue to blog about this after I'm done finishing most of my other works)
No comments:
Post a Comment